This is our house.
It has been well-maintained and well-loved by it’s previous owners.
However… Previous owner, lovely as she is, had much different taste in paint colors than I did.
I work in chaos. I want to come home to serenity and peacefulness. You know, as much as is possible when raising a teenager and a bossy corgi.
Here is a composite of the original colors.
- Living Room: Purple-ish grey with darker grey-ish purple trim (extremely had to photograph – trust me, it was purple).
- Laundry/Mud Room: Bright yellow. The longer you looked at it the, yellower it got.
- Hall: Flat white.
- Bedroom: Brown.
- Kitchen: Glow-worm. Electric, radioactive glow-worm.
- Bathroom: PURPLE.
- Master Bedroom: Also brown.
- Dining Room: Light yellow.
Fun fact: I hate purple and brown. I don’t like yellow very much. And while Kelly Green is my favorite color ever, I rarely like other shades of green. So… We had to paint the whole of the upstairs.
Thankfully, I had some help picking paint samples.
There is one color in the photo that we didn’t use (upper left corner) as we later decided to use the same trim color in all of the rooms. They’re laid out like the house.
- Top Row
- Kitchen: Dutch Boy Grey-cious and Dutch Boy Waimea White (trim)
- Second Row
- Front Door: Dutch Boy Lapis Enamel (the small patch of dark blue to the left – we haven’t painted it yet, sadly.)
- Living Room: Dutch Boy Fantasy Grey
- Dining Room: Dutch Boy Silk Lace
- Laundry/Mud Room: Dutch Boy Peach Froth
- Third Row
- Bedroom: Dutch Boy Fanciful Blue
- Hall: Dutch Boy Bay Fog
- Master Bedroom: Dutch Boy Edge of Night
- Bottom Row
- Bathroom: Dutch Boy Edge of Night
You can probably guess which one is the kid’s room.
We used Dutch Boy Platinum for all of the walls and Dutch Boy Cabinet and Trim for the trim (and someday for the kitchen cabinets). I also used the Cabinet and Trim to cover some tile in our fireplace, which I will show in a future post.
This paint was wonderful. Nearly always done in one coat. Big transitions, of course, were the ones that needed some touching up (seriously – that glow-worm did not want to die). I looked at paint samples/chips from a large number of brands. I didn’t even realize until making this post that ALL of the colors we chose were from Dutch Boy.
We bought our paint at Menard’s when they had an 11% rebate going on. We used the rebates to buy things we wanted but didn’t really need, like a chainsaw.
Here are photos of our rooms after painting.
- Living Room
- Dining Rom
- Master Bedroom
- Laundry/Mud Room
Edit: I just realized that we did use a Valspar color on the ceiling of the Laundry/Mud Room. Basically, we just needed to paint it and I was tired and didn’t want to drive far, so I went to our local Ace (which is amazing) and picked a color they had. It is called Moonbeam and it went on wonderfully as well. We’ve also used this color to paint a cabinet and legs of a countertop/table we built for the room.